J-RPGs at GenCon
  • I was wondering who from this forum might be attending GenCon this year, and what they might be interested in doing related to Japanese RPGs.

I will be releasing Maid RPG in English. I'm running two registered sessions (there's still 3 slots left on the Thursday evening one BTW), and I and a couple of my friends may be running some more at Games On Demand. For selling the book, we'll be sharing a booth with Jerry Grayson, who'll be premiering Hellas: Worlds of Sun and Stone.

Some folks from Adventure Planning Service are running two sessions of Meikyu Kingdom, and apparently they're going to make replays of both for a Japanese game magazine. As I write this the Saturday session has one slot left. I don't know if that means they've got an English version ready or they're just doing some early promotion.

Andy's going to have a demo pack for Tenra Bansho Zero. I'll let the man himself comment on what he might be running.

As I mentioned before, I'm translating an excerpt of Yuuyake Koyake for my graduate thesis project. That excerpt isn't quite enough to actually play it, but if I have time before the con I'd like to get that much done (it'll mainly be the Powers and Weaknesses) and run a session or two at Games On Demand.

Anything else neat? Might we have a little J-RPG meetup or some such?
  • Aw man, I really wanna go to GenCon but I don't think I have the funds to get there ;_;

This really looks interesting though, I hope it's a success for you.
  • If I can get leave time to go to the GenCon, I may try to see if I can bring my set of Alshard books or Night Wizard. Though, Alshard may look more likely.
  • Alshard would be indeed awesome. If you have it in a playable state by then, I sure will assist with the playing. Yum!

But otherwise, I'm going to be all over running impromptu single sessions of Tenra here there and everywhere at the Con. I'll be running a booth with Ewen, but we'll be swapping off (or running events), and most of my stuff will be run at the Games on Demand area during the day, and wherever at night. Maybe we could institute a J-RPG brief meetup for an hour or two somewhere?

I'd suggest "let's go out to sushi", cause, like, y'know, right? But the sushi place in Indianapolis is both Expensive and Ass.

But let's plan on having a meet-and-greet, game demos, chatting, and throwing down something or other.
  • To let everyone know, I have now finished the powers and weaknesses for Yuuyake Koyake, so I can indeed run it at GenCon. I don't know when exactly I'll be doing this (my schedule is kind of busy for the con), but let me know if you're interested in playing.
  • I'll be at GenCon as well. But a meet-and-greet does sound good.
  • There's probably too few people to have a *dedicated* meetup. I know that I am (and most likely Ewen) definitely going to the RPGNet meetup on Saturday night, where we can chat about J-RPGs in detail.

Other than that, both of us will be alternating at the Khepera Publishing booth, selling MAID RPG. Feel free to meet us there, so at least we have a name to a face, and we can talk about meeting up somewhere.

I'll be bringing MAID and Tenra Bansho to run, so we can probably throw down sessions of those at some point.

Thanks!
  • So now I managed to get off work, just to find out that my passport has expired. >_< This way I have no chance left anymore to personally attend GenCon.

So I have a huge Xtreme last-minute request:
    Will there please be somebody willing, to fetch me a copy of Maid RPG and the Tenra Bansho Zero Preview?
    A Thousand Thanks with Sugar on the Top.
  • Maid RPG: Done. If for some reason we sell out, I'll make sure you're the first on the list for the reprint, in about a week or two afterwards.

TBZ Preview: Unfortunately, there wasn't enough time to put one together, with other projects in play (including the final parts of the translation effort). It'll be a bit longer.

Thanks!
    -Andy
  • Hey guys! Here's my blog post about GenCon, which wound up being mostly about Japanese RPGs and Maid RPG. It was an amazing weekend, and I got to meet some really cool people, including seizui/Danny, the designer of Meikyuu Kingdom, and several others.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion