Games That Have Caught My Eye Vol. 1
  • So, I've been looking around at games on various sites (ja.wikipedia, PS Hiroshima, amazon.jp). Here's what I know and what I think they might be about:

迷宮デイズ - from the makers of Meikyuu Kingdom, we have a school drama. I'm betting you do some design work like the dungeons in MK, but I'm not sure. The cover art is nice.

Embryo Machine - Apparently a medieval Europe mecha game with no magic or supernaturalness. Character sheet makes it look like you stat your mech and your character. Main Site

Trouble Aliens It looks like a Men In Black style game. The character sheet looks sleek, with four stats.

School Days Panic Based on the character sheet, it looks like it uses a lot of cards. Another school drama!
  • Hi, I'm HIKAWA Kilica, in Japan.
    The following sites will help you while checking Japanese RPGs.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/trpgnews/
    http://www.trpgsearch.net/

Embryo Machine - This RPG is like Mech Warrior(Battle Tech), but it is far more simplified, easy to play.

Trouble Aliens - I think this RPG is like PARANOIA. Each PC investigates other PC's identity as alien. If his identity has been shown up, he lose. Each player don't know who is the same side, and who is the opposite !
  • Posted By: kilica
    Embryo Machine - This RPG is like Mech Warrior(Battle Tech), but it is far more simplified, easy to play.

Trouble Aliens - I think this RPG is like PARANOIA. Each PC investigates other PC's identity as alien. If his identity has been shown up, he lose. Each player don't know who is the same side, and who is the opposite !

Hi, Kilica, welcome to the forum! And thanks for the response!

1. Does Embryo Machine use figures for the battles? Do you have to buy mecha to play?

2. Trouble Aliens - Cool! I never saw that facet in the game. I assume it is not intended to be run for multiple sessions?
  • Thanks to Andy I have a copy of School Days Panic/Sukupani, and I've started reading it. The PCs are weirdos (the main archetypes are soldier, esper, magician, vampire, cyborg, or slayer) who are trying to attend a normal school, except that there's a phenomenon around the school that causes rumors to become true. The PCs have to contain the rumors, but their own special powers generate more rumor. Rumors are represented by a "rumor gauge," a pile of cards face-down by the GM, and the major way the PCs bring down the rumor gauge is to take on those cards as Stress. Get too much Stress, and your character has to leave the school, and possibly has his or her true nature revealed as well.

There's an extremely important mechanic for making friends with NPCs that I still need to read more about, but apparently being friends with someone gives you access to a special skill, plus you can sacrifice your relationship to remove Stress.
  • Hi, Mark,

>1.
    EM requires square map and the direction of mecha is important. So, it needs figures. Though the basic rule book contains paper pieces, I used figures for D&D (^ ^;.
    Oh, I have forgotten to mention that this rule's important feature, "plotting", like Robo Rally's "programming". This means players must decide 2 actions prior to move his mecha actually. So, players are required to foresee other mecha's actions.

>2.
    Yes, some of characters will be retired because their identity has been revealed by the end of session.
  • I am an administrator of Kimagure TRPG news.
    Thank you for looking my site!

I was surprised that the members of this forum have great interest and knowledge about Japanese table-top RPGs.

I'll give supplementary explanations to kilica's answer.

>1
    Group SNE's website will help you image the scene of the session.

I play EM at online session using maptool.
    The tokens in this picture are made from scanned data of the rule book.

2>
    In sessions of Trouble Aliens,
    we have to guess other players' identity as aliens from the behavior of them.
    And after the session, players write their guess and take the paper
    to game master. If the guess is true, the succeed player can get
    additional points and the players whose identify is discovered lose
    their points.

If you continue to use the same character in the next session, the behavior of the previous session will help other players to guess your identity.
    So same character is basically not used in multiple sessions.

However, one interesting way is proposed in a replay of Trouble Aliens.
    Before showing the answer, I have to explain some details of the game.
    As Mark focused on the character sheets, the sheets of Trouble Aliens are quite unique.

Two character sheets are required for the session of Trouble Aliens.
    One is for your identity as an alien and Another is for your mask.
    The aliens live with humans, concealing his identity.
    Mask express the personality of your character as human being.
    They mimic figures of human being using special ability or special technique.
    For example, space amoebas can change their figures freely.
    Venus aliens in this game are small, 10cm human and have high technology to make cyborg that mimic the figure of human being on Earth.
    Interestingly, you can choose Extra-dimensional Divine like Yuki Nagato in Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

If you want to use same character, you had better change your identity without changing your mask.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion