Japanese OCR: What do you recommend?
  • So, I've not had the opportunity to use any OCR products really: There's several out there, and I was curious:

1) What do you use? (and what platform: PC, Mac, etc)

2) How much success have you had?

3) What kinds of projects have you used with it in the past?

I'm looking to see what might be worth my while on possible future fan projects.
  • I've only used Adobe Acrobat 9 pro and Readiris Pro 11 at my work place so far, so I haven't used the Japanese version of the Abbyy Finreader (we use only western OCR-programs because we share the licenses with the local department of Chinese studies).
    The source material has to be at least 300dpi to get usable results. As far as I know there's no OCR software for asian languages that use kanji where you can change the character matrix. I also haven't scanned texts with unusual fonts so far...
    Revision of the OCR-results is the really tedious part. Setting manual text boxes in Readiris makes for good results, but it takes time and some finetuning to do so.

Adobe acrobat 9 pro:
    - character matrix cannot be changed > no learning
    - fast
    - almost no setting changes possible!!!
    - change of text boxes (=manual setting of text boxes) not possible
    Test:
    source: 400dpi, black text on white background, horizontal text, very good quality > ca.95+% recognition rate
    source: 300dpi, black text on white background, vertical text, medium quality > ca.90+% recognition rate

readiris pro 11:
    - very sensible (good quality of the source text is necerssary)
    - about as fast as adobe
    - manual correction of text boxes possible
    - more complicated than adobe
    Test:
    source: 400dpi, black text on white background, horizontal text, very good quality > ca.98-99% recognition rate
    source: 300dpi, black text on white background, vertical text, medium quality > ca.95% recognition rate

If you want to, I could run more tests with various books (TenraWAR corebook for example).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion