Yaruki Zero Games Podcast on J-RPGs
  • As some of you guys hopefully know already, I've started doing a podcast, and so far I've been keeping up a weekly schedule. I've been talking a lot about Japanese and anime-inspired RPGs, on account of that's one of the few RPG-related things I can talk about where there aren't a dozen people who've been doing better for longer.

Anyway, for the next episode Andy and I will be joining forces to talk about Japanese TRPGs, and we're planning to record on Thursday evening. So, the question I have for the J-RPG Talk folks is: What would you like to hear us talk about? For this episode I want to do kind of a general overview of major topics, and get into more fine details in future podcasts.
  • Two things I'm interested in are:

How the TRPG culture in Japan is different from the culture in America (i.e. how its origins have affected it and how the general mindset affects what games get created and played and how they are played)

How the language affects game books (e.g. the gigantic passive adjectival paragraph)
  • Heya Ewen, yeah looking forward to it.

I'm thinking that once I have some time (LOL!), I'm going to update the front page of this site (that basically points here) to basically be a fat "FORUM" button at the top, and then an RSS feed at the bottom which directly imports all of your podcasts. Because they're topical and awesome.

But if more folks have an idea of things they want to hear, let Ewen know (if you're not a member here) by posting over on Ewen's Podcast link above, and comment on his blog with your question or topic.
  • We wound up going pretty long, so I split our talk into two parts. Here's Part 1, and Part 2 will be going up next Monday. Enjoy!
  • The first half is really nice. Can't wait for the 2nd part.
    It's good to have again a podcast about gaming in Japan after the "Godzilla Gaming Podcast" doesn't seem to be revived in the near future.

About "Record of Lodoss War":
    I already meantioned here in a thread (Ties between TRPG, anime, and manga) how Yasuda Hitoshi (安田均), who was a member of the group that started the setting, describes in the atogaki of the first novel, how it came to be. If you want to, I can sent you a scan of these 2-3 pages. He himself says it was a D&D campaign (and not a Swordworld one), so as long as he remembers it correctly and does not lie...
  • Posted By: Pinkys.brainIf you want to, I can sent you a scan of these 2-3 pages. He himself says it was a D&D campaign (and not a Swordworld one), so as long as he remembers it correctly and does not lie...

Awesome, yeah please do! It would be great to finally have a post which breaks down the history in detail once and for all, we can perhaps create a sister thread at RPGNet once we read through it, for archival purposes.
  • It's not really detailed, but it's by one of the original group, so it's "quotable".
  • Posted By: Pinkys.brainHe himself says it was a D&D campaign (and not a Swordworld one), so as long as he remembers it correctly and does not lie...

Lodoss was an AD&D campaign with a little T&T and homebrewing. It would be impossible for it to be Sword World as the Lodoss Replay was released in 85, Lodoss RPG in 88 and SW in 89. The fact that the cursed isle of Lodoss exists in Forcelia is simply because it's all Group SNE.
  • And... Part 2 is now online!
  • Nice podcast! I mentioned it in the comments on the podcast page as well, but it's interesting to me how similar the cultures around wargaming and role-playing seem to be here (meaning Japan). Especially since I'm making my first foray into Japanese-language role-playing next month after finding some (hopefully) nice folks in my area on Mixi.
  • Oh, hey if you're on Mixi, and haven't joined yet (14 members, going strong!), there's a little English TRPG group over there:

http://mixi.jp/list_member.pl?id=3023459

-Andy
  • Good stuff guys. I'm glad to see it on iTunes too.

Oh and Ewen, I saw the English Maid RPG book in Role & Roll Station today

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion