SW2.0 Nintendo DS Rulebook Collection... Holy Crap!
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQoH47RYac

Courtesy of Seizui, great find man!

What is it? It's the new Sword World 2.0.

On the Nintendo DS.

The full rulebooks, character generator, die roller, example pics, scenario builder, and a few tabletop sample scenarios.

That's right, it's NOT a console (handheld) RPG. It's the corebooks and supplemental material, turned into a Nintendo DS catridge, for use IN CONJUNCTION WITH (not separate from) the tabletop experience.

How cool is that?

Answer: Very.
  • Not a problem. I have to wonder if the game being available on the DS will make it easier for folks to do a fan-translation. XD ...Probably not, but it is a wishful dream. Any case, I don't remember how I found it, but I did.

And because of that, ended up finding out that Sword World had 2 SNES games. Funny, huh?
  • I"m excited about this but annoyed that it wont come out until a week after I've left Japan. :(
  • Does anyone know how much of the SW2.0 rules this is going to include? Since the genre listing is "Gamebook-style Adventure", I was thinking it would be something along the lines of the old "Fighting Fantasy" books, with just enough rules and background for the player to deal with whatever obstacles the game throws at him. The website indicates that there is at least some sort of built-in glossary, though.
  • Posted By: kirisameDoes anyone know how much of the SW2.0 rules this is going to include?

Unfortunately, we don't know anything more than what's listed on the site. I'm planning on getting it not too long after it comes out, and we'll see what it's like from there.

It also mentions that it's part of a "series". I'd be interested in seeing other games make the adaptation to DS.
  • FYI, this release has been pushed back to October 29.
  • Posted By: Diamond SutraIt also mentions that it's part of a "series". I'd be interested in seeing other games make the adaptation to DS.

New Gamebook announced: Chrome Shelled Regios 鋼殻のレギオス

Which of course is the classic TRPG ... wait, no, I've never heard of it.
  • Yeah, in this case it's apparently a young adult light novel converted into a gamebook. No comments on the site yet as to which ruleset it uses (or if it will be more of a choose your own adventure, or Fighting Fantasy, etc).
  • I recently got this and I was a bit disappointed. It is not what Andy hoped:
    "The full rulebooks, character generator, die roller, example pics, scenario builder, and a few tabletop sample scenarios.

That's right, it's NOT a console (handheld) RPG. It's the corebooks and supplemental material, turned into a Nintendo DS catridge, for use IN CONJUNCTION WITH (not separate from) the tabletop experience."

It's merely a solo adventure.

I was eager to see how a rule book would have looked like on a DS.
    I can imagine what a rule book looks like on an iPad or smartphone, so I was especially interested how SW 2.0 would make use of the second screen...
  • Ahhh, sorry: I must have blogged about it elsewhere (Story Games? RPGNet?). Totally weak and disappointing. Here was a brief review I did:

======
    I got myself a copy of Sword World DS 2.0, the very game/piece that this thread was about.

I'll have a detailed review later, but here's the short:

* There are some clever ideas for a tabletop RPG supplement here.
    * But aside from that, it's almost total crap. It screams "this should have been a free Flash game" or something.
    ======

Yeah, in retrospect the only thing I liked - at all - about it was in the GM toolkit, there are a collection of about 20 song loops: So a GM could set up a song loop at the table for adventuring, combat, magical dungeon, creepy house, etc. Only thing is the loops are kinda short, so you have that 1980s Nintendo RPG flavor of "10 second sound loop repeating over and over", although it was /sliiiiightly/ better than that.

I think the most egregious offense was that it did not even allow you to create a character as per the normal Sword World 2.0 rules. I mean, that was the only thing it had going for it - a game that adheres to the SW2.0 rules - and even on that small goal it Failed.

Group SNE didn't make the game themselves, it was another studio that did that; but they really should have made a flash game, there wasn't enough game here for a console, not even a DS.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion