Meikyu Kingdom - New Kingdom Book
  • After hearing all the buzz about Meikyu Kingdom, I picked up the 2 core books for it a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that the Kingdom Book was in the new arrivals section, and saw that it was an updated version. Since I don't have the older one, I have no idea what's in it that's not in the previous one. Anyone check out the new one? There seems to be a New Dungeon Book in the makings as well, to be put out sometime in the future.

Has there been any translation work on this game at all?
  • Not that I know of, but holy hell it looks fun, if a bit random. This one's got my interest as well.
  • From what I've read in the descriptions given in stores the new Kingdom Book is basically just a reprint with the errata implemented, but then I don't have any way to see for myself. (OTOH a friend who's visiting Japan was kind enough to pick me up a copy of Meikyuu Days, amongst other things; more on that when it's in my hands.)

I don't know of any fan translations or anything, but the original designers do want to do an English version, so much so that they put translated the very basics to run demo games at Gen Con in 2008 (lots of fun!). However, they've apparently been really busy with other stuff since then, notably Shinobigami, some card games, and working with the video game industry.
  • Yeah, I noticed that their Meikyu-themed card games all come with English instructions, so I wondered about Meikyu Kingdom itself. Glad to see they're busy, though I'd like to see more English stuff from them!

Ooooh, Meikyu Days. I would really like to see what's inside that book. All I can imagine is Persona 3 and 4. Sounds pretty awesome.
  • I finally got my copy of Meikyuu Days, and posted on my blog about my initial impressions of it and the other TRPGs I recently got.

Meikyuu Days takes place in a present-day setting that's been afflicted by a Dungeon Hazard in progress, so apparently unlike in Meikyuu Kingdom only parts of the world are dungeons. The PCs are "Dungeoneers," rare individuals who have what it takes to venture into dungeons to fight monsters and rescue people and such. It dispenses with the Jobs system and kingdom-building aspects of Meikyuu Kingdom, but it contains the complete rules to play (in a rather dense format). It also adds firearms (the Mercenary class specializes in that) and includes mages (from secret orders that went public to help people deal with the Dungeon Hazard). There are a number of rules tweaks throughout, and there seem to be more skills and rules that emphasize the relationship rules as well as more ways to get personal Hope points in order to make up for the lack of Voice of the People points.

• Wow, sounds eerily like Persona! Way cool.

Coincidentally, last night I showed all my JTRPGs to my best friend, asking which she'd like most to play next. After sifting through them all, we decided on me getting Meikyu Kingdom playable.

I wonder if Meikyu Days would be easier to localize than Meikyu Kingdom....
  • Hi everyone, I played this game today at my local gaming convention and I've put a basic outline of the system on my blog. I played a Ninja and we had a near total party kill by a mushroom dragon. It's as weird and random as people suggest, and a lot of fun. I'll put a proper play report and some scans from the book this week.
  • Hi guys, I finally got around to starting my own blog about JRPGs and my almost inaugural post is all about the King class and its skills. I linked faustus' blog in that post and linked faustus and Ewen on the blog itself, hope you guys don't mind. Hopefully I'll get more stuff on there someday...

oh yeah, almost forgot the link! duh~
    http://d66roc.wordpress.com/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion