Double Cross Buying Guide!
  • So it's been asked: "I'm learning Japanese, I want to get Double Cross 3rd Edition (rightly so, because it's F-ING AWESOME)... but there's so many books! What do I need?"

Good question!

As you start building a "to buy" list from Amazon.co.jp using the search for Double Cross "ダブルクロス 3rd", here are some titles to look for. I'm excluding Replay books for now, since I din't have a lot of them: However, I suggest buying a replay book anyway, as it will really show you how to play the game:

The core book, the only book you need to play or even run the game. Lightly illustrated, compact, costs less than $10 USD (even given our current "Endaka")!

It has all the powers, the rules, the game background and even a few sample PCs to use to make a game.

Seriously. One book. Stop here.

OK, but there's a bunch of other rulebooks and supplements, right? So what do they contain? Here's the breakdown:

Rulebook 2: Same size, form factor and price as the above. It contains more powers for the characters, more background on the setting, and sample NPCs to populate the world.

Basically the 2nd edition of DX2 was awesome, but it was hard for new players to make a character because the core book had so many abilities (think "charms" or "feats") per superpower, about 30 or so. It's hard to decide when you could easily be choosing from a buffet of over 60 abilities (picking less than 7 powers) and that's given that you already know which powers you want. So DX3 split the powers up equally across both books: Get used to the powers in the Red Book. When you want a little more, once you have the game under your belt, get the Green Book.

And again, as rulebooks go, the core book is all you need... but yeah, the Rulebook 2 helps flesh out the setting a little more, and those background NPCs are really handy. I consider it a Worthy Buy, but if you're strapped for cash you can end here and never buy anything else, and still have hundreds of hours of awesome play. For $20 total.

The Scenario book. Same size, form factor and price as the above. A collection of starter scenarios for DX3. Pretty basic.

All the other books from here down are in the traditional RPG rulebook form factor, A4-sized reference books at around 100-150 pages.

The "Advanced Rulebook" contains more abilities and data (more on this later), more character hooks, and something called "Unique Items", basically special items that boost or work with a particular ability: Vehicles for the Lightning Power Guy, etc. More on this later.

If you're a completeist, it's great. But not needed to play or run the game.

Public Enemy: The sourcebook of the evil conspiratorial organization "The False Hearts". Again, not needed, but pretty cool: You can make up characters who are either willing or misguided pawns in an evil conspiracy (think "Sabbat" in Vampire or "Teragen" in Aberrant). Lots of good information, advice, scenario hooks and cool NPCs to use as enemies, including "two forms" for each to shake things up a bit depending on what kind of a scenario you want them to appear in.

Infinity Code: Basically a book showcasing a new superpower: Oroboros, a power which uses/amplifies/controls other powers. This is your "Rogue" (X-Men) power base.

Deep Front: Three sample campaign scenarios with illustrations, NPCs, etc. If you're hunting for ideas, this is a good reference.

I'll break them down into finer detail much later, and would encourage others who have any of these books to chime in with their thoughts as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!