About Yuuyake Koyake
  • I'm so eager to play this game. I decided to make a TSOY hack reflecting it just because I really wanted to play it. I'm using TSOY's transcendence mechanic to reflect when a henge completes their transformation to human and what Ability they used to determine what kind of adult they ended up becoming.

Does YK have a point where the henge finally makes it to human? If so, how does it handle it?
  • The guideline in the book is for characters to be between 8 and 18 years old in their human forms, (though their chronological/animal ages can be anywhere from less than a year to a few centuries, depending). Although it might make for an interesting hack to the game, as written Yuuyake Koyake has no endgame at all, and it specifically emphasizes how henge are first and foremost animals, are defined by and happy as such, and have to exert themselves somewhat to maintain a human form.

One of the books on Japanese myths I was reading says that "folk legends" are a kind of folklore that consist of stories that don't necessarily need a narrative structure, and are fixed in a particular local place. It occurs to me that Yuuyake Koyake is in a sense a game about folk legends, albeit ones with a deliberately heartwarming tone.

Another thing is that in his book "Shared Fantasy," Gary Alan Fine says gamers tend to create what he calls "folk beliefs." In, say, D&D these tend to be along the lines of "Heroes will triumph over evil in the end," but for YK they're more reinforced by the game's text, and they tend to be more like "There's always a way to make someone happy."
  • That's so sweet I could cry ;_;

I wonder how a con scenario would work. Maybe a family in town is struggling and the henge get involved to help them sort their problems out? How does one know when a story is done in YK? If the Visitor has to leave at the end, when does everyone know that has happened? Is it just a one-session game?

(I'm still kinda into my TSOY hack, though. I should probably do something with it.)
  • If the included replay and two scenarios are any indication, YK is meant to be fairly tightly controlled by the Narrator. In all three cases, the game is basically set up with 4-5 scenes that establish and resolve a situation (e.g., a kid goes back to school to get something he forgot, but hears scary sounds from within, the henge persuade him to go in anyway, and it turns out to be a puppy that they have to figure out what to do with), and then there's an "epilogue" scene where the henge essentially get to see the fruits of their efforts and spend a little more time with whatever new friends they've made (if the boy adopted the puppy, they come visit the boy and his new pet and play for a while). So, basically, the Narrator says, "The next scene will be the last one," and after that one, the story comes to a close. Although there's no reason you couldn't do something like your example of trying to resolve a family's problems, the examples have thus far been on an even smaller scale than that.

Reading through the Visitor description did get me a little misty-eyed, to be honest, and I immediately decided I want to run a scenario where henge have to help a quirky time traveler (or some such) get home. I'll have to see how the game's default style works for me in practice, but what I would do is set up the scenario to be about how the henge help the visitor find her missing MacGuffin, and then the final scene would be the tearful goodbye. Of course, I should mention that Mononoke Koyake specifically says that mononoke are more difficult to play, and you should get some experience with playing henge first. Aside from the fact that, unlike henge, their natural forms usually scare people, mononoke also can have complications like the "Traveler" weakness (where they have to leave at the end of the session) that can make it more challenging to work out how the session should flow.

YK can definitely be played for multiple sessions--the rules for Memories and Threads only actually matter if you do--but it seems like it'd work best as a thing where you'd play every now and then, and swap out characters freely. That said, playing more in the long term, and thereby getting to know the town and the people (and other things) that live there could be a lot of fun too.

Oh, another thing I noticed while re-reading the rulebook some today: Although there aren't any rules for it, it often mentions about how some animals (and in Mononoke Koyake, mononoke as well) can potentially become local gods.
  • It definitely seems like YK emulates a particular kind of story that I am not culturally exposed to, as of yet. Are there any American books or movies that might match the feeling of gameplay?

And, thanks for taking time to answer my questions. I feel pretty silly having bought the book not knowing any of this, but I do want to know how to play it :)
  • I have a hard time even thinking of Japanese works that quite fall into the same category, much less American ones. Although the designer definitely drew inspiration from various sources, he's also staked out some new territory. About the only thing from another media that it readily resembles to me is certain Miyakaki films, especially My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. And really, you owe it to yourself to get caught up on Miyazaki films. ;) Anime with a juxtaposition of everyday small-town life and the supernatural rarely lack violence (e.g., Petopeto-san could be a neat source of ideas, but it does have yakuza kappa girls getting into epic battles), though there are some obscurities like The Gargoyle of the Yoshinagas.
  • Man, even the fairy tales I can think of that are similar still have some violence to them. It will be very fun to try this out, I think. Although, it is hard to think on a scale as small as you've presented with the one boy and the puppy. I can imagine that scene framing will be a critical skill to game YK and have it be fun.
  • Hey, Ewen!

We're really excited about this game in our household! Anything we could do to help you with the process / encourage you to go faster?

yrs--
    --Ben

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion